Thursday, July 17, 2014

Corbin's Birth Story

April 24, 2014- Corbin's due date and doctor appointment with Kim McCulloch
It was a morning appointment and I was praying that she would just induce me. She had been telling me for the past two appointments that she just couldn't believe he wasn't here yet, that I was 80% effaced and 3+ dilated. I cried when she told me I wasn't ready. She stripped my membranes and sent me on my way.
That night around 11 the contractions started to hurt. I couldn't sleep. Ty was doing homework for his 7 a.m. class and trying to get some studying in for his Monday morning final. 
April 25, 2014
Ty went to bed at 1 a.m. I couldn't sleep. The contractions were the same distance apart. I timed them with Ty's breathing. I went from laying down to sitting up. I timed again. after 20 min I stood. I stood in front of the mirror and curled my hair while timeing (at 1:45 a.m.). If I was having a baby I was going to look good dang it! 2:15 a.m. I woke up Ty and told him it was time to go to the hospital. He went back to sleep. 2:20 a.m. I woke him up again (this time not so nice). He asked if he could eat a bowl of cereal (typical guy). He ate his cereal, I grabbed my bag and we got in the car. My contractions stopped. I cried because I felt so bad and I knew I wasn't in labor even though I'd been timing contractions for the past 3 hours. 2:45 a.m. we pulled into the hospital and checked in. The nurse hooked me to the monitor and checked me. I was 100% effaced and 3+ dilated. She told me she wasn't sure that the doctor would keep me. Right after she said that Kim walked in with a big hook and said, "Of course we're keeping her. Ready to break your water? It's about to hurt a lot worse." then she broke my water. No going back now! And she was right. It hurt like hell after that. 
3:30 a.m. water broke.
4:00 a.m. dilated to a 5.
4:10 a.m. bawling for an epidural. 
4:30 a.m. I got my epidural. The nurse checked me before the meds were put in. I was at a 9. 
  I've never been in so much pain.
By 5 the epidural had kicked in. Wow was it nice! Just fabulous to have all the pain taken away. 
The nurses switched shifts and my new nurse didn't want me to push yet. I just sat there for over an hour. My mom called somewhere in between the water breaking and the epidural. She reckons I could have gone natural if I had wanted. Who wants to do that?? Insurance covers the pain meds so I'm getting them. 
6 something a.m. I start pushing.
Ty Counting while I pushed

Before the epidural 

Talking to my mamma and trying to breath evenly 





Trying not to panic while I watch his heart rate drop. 

Corbin's heart rate dropped with each push. They gave me an oxygen mask to wear and told me to stop pushing for a little. His heart rate continued to drop with each contraction (not a lot, but enough to worry). 
7:30 something a.m. Kim comes in. They call the NicU and tell them there will be a baby in 5. I push one set of three.
7:44 a.m. I start my second set of three and out he comes. 
Asking me if I'm ready to push!

My Sweet baby boy's first moment in this world.



Tyson cutting the cord

Our little family


My handsome baby boy

They set him on my chest and Kim starts to stitch me up. My tear was scaled as a 3 with over 50%. A.K.A. it was awful and took over two weeks to even start feeling a little better. 
Corbin is perfect. He was 7 1/2 lbs, 20" long, dark eyes, dark hair, dark skin, stubby fingers (just like daddy). He is beautiful! Worth every second of pain. He had my heart right from the start.
 He is such a cuddler and has been from the first minute. He screamed when they moved him off my chest and calmed right down when they put him back. I love being a mommy.








Proud daddy :)

First Bath





No comments:

Post a Comment